Posting vignettes based on great postcards found in my mail box and elsewhere.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sled dog inspiration



A friend created this cloth post card as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. It is one of a pair. My friend is very crafty. She often makes handmade crafts to give as gifts. The card is made of fabric, paint and bordered with sled dog fir. One of a kind.



Every time I see the card I think of my sled dog Tipper, who died three years ago at age 17. Tip was a 65-pound female that led my Iditarod and Yukon Quest teams for four years. She was an outstanding althete who ran two other Iditarods with a friend. She was a true command leader -- able to run in single lead and pull even a reluctant team into deep snow. Her only fault was that she refused to accept a male for breeding. I never found or raised another leader of her caliber and eventually lost interest in racing without another dog like her.

2 comments:

  1. What a great dog, they bring such joy and sweet sorrow when they leave us...Love, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Alaska? It's so cool!
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete