Posting vignettes based on great postcards found in my mail box and elsewhere.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Religious humor


I enjoy the tongue in cheek depiction of the apostle Peter's attempt to walk on water. The crowded row boat, complete with dangling oar, the disciples, depicted literally as sheep, most not paying attention, and the extra biblical addition of scuba gear on one who is willing to back him up, make this cartoon a hoot, yet conveys the story's intent: lack of faith.

The caption reads: "Ye...(of little faith)" which is a reference to the words of Jesus, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"

I do not remember when or where I acquired this card. My best guess is the card was purchased in the late 80s, early 90's. I might have picked it up in Canada while traveling the Alcan Highway.

The reverse side has pricing in the U.S. (40 cents) and Canada (75 cents). The headliner has a verse from the Psalms. "Let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice." The artist's signature in the lower right hand corner of the picture is unreadable. The card is printed with soy ink, so we might say it is a religious green card.

No comments:

Post a Comment