Posting vignettes based on great postcards found in my mail box and elsewhere.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Chugging into the future

For the last postcard of 2011, I chose (no surprise) a train. To me there is nothing more symbolic of moving into the future than a train chugging along, especially trains powered by a steam locomotive.
This postcard came from friends and neighbors who just returned from the lower 48 (U.S.) states. I collect train postcards and they seem to find the best cards for me.
This card is post dated 1928 and shows the Royal Gorge, Colorado. The gorge's rock walls are some 2,500 feet and not nearly as wide, so the effect of being in the gorge is a little claustrophobic to some.
Traveling the gorge by train is fairly high on my bucket list.


1 comment:

  1. How I would love to be on that train in such beautiful scenery. I have a deep appreciation for steam locomotives. Everything about them, but especially the sound.
    Chris, I wish you a very happy 20121

    ReplyDelete