Posting vignettes based on great postcards found in my mail box and elsewhere.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Glass Rose


This post card is a photo of the South Rose Window of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. To the french, the cathedral is known as "Our Lady of Paris." It's south window, with its Mandela-like appearance, is a beauty yet the panels have undergone artistic changes over the centuries due to poor construction, damage from fire, vandals and war.
The original window was constructed in the thirteenth century, a gift from king Saint Louis. It is 12.90 metres in diameter and was dedicated to the New Testament, yet many of its scenes depict post-Testament saints and virgins. According to the cathedral's web site, the window symbolizes the Christ triumphant, reigning over Heaven, surrounded by a his earthly witnesses.
"A rose by any other name..."
The reverse side of this post card is dated July, 7, 1977, and post marked Paris, France. There is no attached stamp but rather a printed ink stamp.

One of my grandmother's church friend's, Hilda Van Norden, of Dearborn, Michigan, received this card from Henrietta. She wrote, "This is one of the most beautiful windows in the world." She goes on to say the trip was fine but plagued by hidden expenses "...(even for people who seem to have more)."

4 comments:

  1. I don't know whether I was in a particularly bad mood, or it was the result of hordes of tourists chat-chattering at the tops of their voices, but Notre Dame left me cold. And I'm sorry to say I never gave it a second chance. I'll have to do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your experience was loudly annoying. There's always post cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kris, Just wanted to thank you for the enjoyable blog you have created and keeping us POSTED....Just copy and paste the blogger award to your site and pass it on to 7 other bloggers. I really hate these and they take some time but it does link us all together and broaden our interest. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kudos. I'll paste and pass along when I get a few moments. Wish I had more time to post.

    ReplyDelete