Posting vignettes based on great postcards found in my mail box and elsewhere.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Rio's Christ on High


This post card was sent by Luiz, a Postcrosser from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He wrote a very promotional note on the back that gave a lot of cultural-geographic background in the smallest script I've ever seen. He obviously loves his city of birth. He describes Rio as a "...city high on life, a city of beaches, football , samba and Carnival." I can't wait to go there. It is on my top ten cities list. If I take in a football game, I'll consider wearing my Nomex underwear and gas mask. Those celebratory flares can get hot and smoky. (See the football video link above. The samba video sizzles too.)
High above the city stands the Christ the Redeemer statue, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. Completed in 1931, it stands 38 meters (120ft) and is perched on Corcovado peak 700m (2,300ft) above the crowded metropolitan area of 11.8 million. Though it is a large statue an impressive atop Corcovado, its appeal comes from its pose. It is a cross triumphant -- a statue that hints at the cross but emphasises the grace filled Christ -- the one who forever stands with arms open to all.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to see my Christ statue
    postcards collections,
    http://gulfmannpostcards.blogspot.com/search/label/RJ%20CHRIST%20STATUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection you have and great postcard blogs, Gulfman.
    I'll send you some cards from time to time.

    ReplyDelete